Search This Blog

Friday 23 June 2017

A Little Chinese Girl

I was preaching in London's Hyde Park, the place was packed with Mother Theresa's Sisters of Mercy nuns. A little Chinese girl espied my bible and obviously thought I was part of that crowd, she came running over.

"Oh I wish I could  wear a white robe and have a pure heart" she blurted, I cried inwardly to the Lord for wisdom to deal with this young lady, she was about 17 years old and very pretty.

"You could wear a white robe but it'd still be YOU, you'd have a white robe on" her face fell and she acknowledged that it was true...."But you CAN have a pure heart, today, before you leave this Park"

She did not look very sure of this so I showed her my bible "look St. Peter said, do you believe St. Peter? "Himself bare our sins in His own body on the tree that we being dead unto sin might live unto righteousness...."

She grabbed my bible and stared down fiercely at the scripture I had indicated, her look seeming to demand that the words explain themselves......"it says He bore your sins...." she looked at me her face working a passion to grasp the meaning. I pointed dramatically at a nearby tree and cried "Look! there He is, hanging by nails, He is bearing your sins....you'd have a pure heart wouldn't you?"

Her hands went to her face and there was a sharp intake of breath as the revelation broke upon her, she understood.

"Do you believe that if we pray here in this park God will hear our prayer?" she did believe and together we prayed. She thanked the Lord that He would love her so much to come and save her, she asked that He might come to dwell in her heart as her Lord, that she might be born again, that she would receive a new pure heart.

Perhaps because of her Chinese ethnicity she had bowed right over to pray but suddenly she lifted up and a great joy welled up in her, she smiled radiantly and I was left to marvel once more at the wonder of the new birth.

No comments:

Read this

I saw my brother's ghost

When St. Peter was released from prison by the angel, he went straight to where the saints were praying. The little girl who answered his k...